Diesel Electric Locomotives P.W.M. 650-654.
These five 0-6-0 diesel shunting locomotives, built by Ruston & Hornsby, were specifically for departmental duties. They weighed 30 tons and the 6 cylinder engine produced 165 bhp. The first was introduced in 1953 and the remaining four in 1959. Their original numbers were P.W.M.650-654 though they were later designated class 97/6 with the numbers 97650-97654.
The following extract relating to these locomotives is taken from British Railways (Western Region) Regional Appendix to the Working Timetable and Book of Rules and Regulations published on 1st October, 1960.